Dive # 316 - Swell Shark


Date: March 25, 2007
Time: 8:00am
Location: Deadman's Reef
Depth (feet): 57
Dive Time (minutes): 44
Surf (feet): 1-2
Surge (feet): 1-2
Water Temp (fahrenheit): 57
Visibility (feet): 10
Visibility Description: murky
Notes and Highlights: Dove with Garrett, Scott and New Erik. Easy in with some surf - but easily timed. Relatively smooth surface swim to the drop-point. I had equalizing problems (head cold)...but I worked through it. Garrett picked up the lead and took us over the rest of the sand to the reef. Murky water for New Erik's first visit - but I still think he had a good time. I found a couple of rocks which contained a "mini-aquarium" of life - a 2 foot swell shark, Spanish shawl, large garibaldi and a sheep crab...add a moray and lobster and you've got just about all of 'em in one spot. It's been over 300 dives before I've encountered a swell shark while I had a camera of any kind...it wasn't in the best spot for pictures but I was happy with a couple of them. Easy exit with slightly bigger surf, and a good time had by all.