Dives # 319-321 - Pacific Star - Video

Date: April 14, 2007
Time: 7:30am/10:30am/1:00pm
Location: Eagle Reef/Blue Caverns/Yellowtail Point
Depth (feet): 52/35/68
Dive Time (minutes): 43/47/38
Surf (feet): 0
Surge (feet): 0-2
Water Temp (fahrenheit): 54/57/55
Visibility (feet): 20-30
Visibility Description: Clear at Blue Caverns, murkier at the others
Notes and Highlights: Dove with Scott, Kevin, Gerry and Marshall. Met up at the boat on Friday night. Had dinner Lou-e-Luey's, and more drinks at the bar next door. Got back on the boat and in the bunks around Midnight. Odds were that we were going to not make the planned trip to Santa Barbara Island due to the conditions - but when I heard the engines fire up at 3:30am - I got my hopes up...

...for no reason - at 6:30 I awoke to Ship Rock...yech! I like Catalina - I'm just getting bitter that every time I fall asleep on a boat heading somewhere new - I wake up at Isthmus Reef.

Current was too strong at the Isthmus - so we started the day at Eagle Reef. Dropped down and the first thing I thought was HOLY CRAP I'M COLD! Vis was kinda murky - probably about 20-25 feet. Took some video, but a misbehaving light cannon blew my only good shot for the dive - a black-eye goby close-up shot. Overall a cold dive, and we didn't encounter anything remarkable...the day wasn't off to the best start.

Moved over to Blue Caverns...a new site for me. This was a bit shallower (we stayed high on the wall), and felt a lot warmer. Nicer visibility with a lot of color and normal fish...a much better dive.

Final dive was on Yellowtail Point. We dropped down onto sand...and stayed on sand for the entire dive. Jurassic Park-sized kelp was interesting, and Scott spotted a very juvenile horn shark on the sand...vis was sandy - as is the footage.

Slept all the way back - so I can't comment on the swell conditions. The trip wasn't Santa Barbara Island for sure - but then again, up till this point April had been a dry month - so overall a good time had by all!