Dive's #330 and 331 - Shawl's, Shank...Redemption


Date: May 12, 2007
Time: 6:30am/8:30am
Location: Deadman's Reef
Depth (feet): 48/45
Dive Time (minutes): 61/48
Surf (feet): 1-2
Surge (feet): 1-3
Water Temp (fahrenheit): 52
Visibility (feet): 10-20
Visibility Description: Mostly clear below red tide level
Notes and Highlights: First dove with Kevin and Josh...swam out, dropped down and redeemed myself for yesterday's fiasco...the red tide was in patches even at depth - but when you avoided it the vis was approaching 20 feet and nice. Cool dive - saw a bunch of Spanish Shawl's...one as large as Josh's dive knife...Cold dive - 52 wears on you after an hour...should have brought my better gloves...nice easy swim around the reef, and most of the trip back was under as well...

Josh and Kevin had to go - but Alberto showed up as I was pulling off my gear...put it all back on and went for round two (put my better gloves on this time)...surf was still down, easy in and a leisurely swim back out to the drop point. Alberto took the lead and we explored the clear areas of the reef...a bunch of morays - one very large, and most in the medium-sized range...again, more Spanish Shawls, lobsters, cabezon and other usual suspects. Hadn't dove with Alberto before...looking forward to more in the future. Equally leisurely, underwater swim for most of the return trip, and I had the pleasure of meeting Jan and got to say hi to Donna too...it's a beautiful day out...a good time had by all.


Spanish Shawls


Update: Slipped my mind - but I did notice a sunflower star on Dive 331 with Alberto...pointed it out, but I'm not sure if his angle let him see it. Not sure I've seen one in Laguna before. It wasn't nearly as large or "well-armed" as the one I saw at OML on Dive #315...probably only 10-12 arms...still cool to see here though.