Shelly's Tragic Tale

I have been interested in "Shelly of Shaws" since I first heard of her on the OCDiving email list a few weeks ago. Finding her on Wednesday night's dive this week only made my curiosity grow. I had many questions..."How did she get there?"...and..."Why hasn't anyone claimed responsibility for placing her there?"...I figured that a statue that heavy must have been brought in by boat...but by who and when?...in search of answers I turned to my most trusted source - the internet. I poured over countless images from various websites, and started giving up hope...until I happened to notice an odd "spec" off the reef at Shaw's Cove in a satellite photo.


I increased the resolution on the photo, and altered the contrast around the spec and was able to make out that it was in fact a boat...I realized then that I was on to something.



Again, I increased the resolution, and applied a special algorithm which was accidentally made public in the recent movie "Deja Vu"...this allowed me to leverage the satellite images to create a "snapshot in time" and see what the boat was up to. Please understand that at this resolution the quality of the images is understandably poor.


You can now start to see the tragic unfolding of what must have happened when they dropped the statue off of that boat...the humanity!


I don't know if we'll be able to ever find out the identity of the poor soul...but it's clear now why nobody has claimed credit for the statue. I've passed these pictures, and a few others with more detail of the boat to the local authorities so they can open an investigation.



Be careful out there...